Celebrating World Whisky Day 2020
15th May 2020
CELEBRATED ON THE THIRD SATURDAY OF MAY WORLD WHISKY DAY IS A GLOBAL CELEBRATION OF, YOU GUESSED IT, WHISKY!
Each year whisky fans come together to raise a dram to the water of life - enjoying everything from garden parties to guided bar crawls and tutored whisky tastings.
This year with social distancing measures in place it's fair to say that celebrations are going to have to look a little different, which we've come up with some top tips to help you enjoy World Whisky Day at home in suitable style.
HOW CAN YOU CELEBRATE WORLD WHISKY DAY DURING LOCKDOWN?
- Watch a whisky-themed movie. We thoroughly recommend cracking open a bottle and settling in for the night to enjoy The Angels' Share - a comedy-drama directed by Ken Locach which tells the story of a young father who narrowly avoids jail and, after visiting a whisky distillery, is inspired to find a way out of his hopeless life.
- Restock your home bar. Traditionally, it’s the time of year for spring cleaning, but what if it’s not just your home that could do with a refresh this season? Why not use this time to review your drinks cabinet and research the next must have bottles to join your at home bar. Our friends over at anCnoc have put together a guide to special moments and the ideal drams to accompany them which we think is a rather great place to start.
- Enjoy a whisky pairing dinner. Given whiskies' aromatic richness it can be used to create a mouth-watering food pairing experience, a perfect way to indulge your senses this World Whisky Day we're sure you'll agree. Check out our blog article to discover the basic principals of food matching your Scotch
- Learn to make a whisky cocktail. Head over to our friends at Hood Magazine to discover three mouth-watering Old Pulteney whisky cocktail recipes that you can whip up at home in no time
- Get a whisky qualification! Serious about Scotch? Now may be the time to take that leap and bag an official qualification. There are a host of courses on offer so with a quick Google search we’re sure you’ll find the best course to suit you but as a starting point we’d recommend checking out The Edinburgh Whisky Academy who are currently (as of 15th April 2020) offering a reduced rate for their online Introduction to Whisky Certificate
More ideas? Give us a shout out on Twitter @OldPulteneyMalt and we’ll share your World Whisky Day top tips!